translate

Agiou Pavlou Monastery (Holy Monastery of Saint Paul) — A Documentary and Bibliographic Profile

1. Identification, rank, and topographic constraints

The Holy Monastery of Agiou Pavlou (Μονή Αγίου Παύλου) is one of the twenty ruling monasteries of Mount Athos and holds the fourteenth position in the Athonite hierarchy. It is located on the western side of the Athos peninsula, between Nea Skiti and the Monastery of Dionysiou, on a rocky terrace formed between two torrents, at approximately 140 meters above sea level.

From the standpoint of institutional history, this particular topography matters. The site is not a broad plateau but a restricted and water-cut terrain. The monastery’s built fabric and the survival of its collections must therefore be read through a recurrent Athonite problem: damage, evacuation, rebuilding, and the constant movement (and loss) of portable heritage and documents.

These basic data (location, rank) and the long-term pattern of discontinuity are foundational for interpreting the monastery’s archive and library.

2. Foundation tradition and the consolidation of the monastery’s name

Agiou Pavlou is one of the Athonite monasteries whose origin story is structured by the convergence of two “founders” named Paul: (a) a Paul identified in later tradition as a son of Emperor Michael I Rangabe (811–812), and (b) Paul of Xeropotamou, a contemporary of Athanasius the Athonite. The second figure is treated as the historically plausible founder of the monastic nucleus connected to Xeropotamou, and the tradition preserves a further claim: that a “new monastery” was established at the current site shortly before the founder’s death, initially under the name “Xeropotamou.”

In institutional terms, what is crucial is not merely the legend but the chronology of naming. The monastery is not mentioned in the Second Typikon (1046), and the name “(Monastery) of Kyr Paul” appears in a document of 1071, while the dedication at that point is still connected with Saint George. The name “Agiou Pavlou” is presented as definitively established by 1108. This timeline—late formal naming relative to presumed ascetical beginnings—is typical of Athonite institutional consolidation.

3. Late Byzantine rupture: Catalan raids and juridical downgrading

The Catalan attacks (1303–1309) are treated as the decisive rupture: the monastery was destroyed, demoted to a dependency (kellion) under Xeropotamou, and later restored to sovereign standing. The restoration is dated to 1365.

This sequence is central for two reasons. First, it explains the discontinuity of archival survival prior to the late fourteenth century. Second, it clarifies why later donors could be represented not merely as benefactors but as “new ktetors” (renewed founders): the monastery’s institutional identity, not just its buildings, had to be reconstructed.

4. The Serbian reconstruction phase (late 14th–15th c.): patronage, bilingual administration, and Balkan networks

Agiou Pavlou is one of the clearest Athonite cases in which a post-catastrophe restoration is tied to a Slavic and specifically Serbian patronage regime. Greek documentary synthesis and Serbian narrative sources converge on the pivotal role of two Serbian aristocrats who became monks: Gerasimos Radonia and Antonije Bagaš (Pagasis), presented as purchasers and restorers of the ruined monastery in the later fourteenth century.

The AboutLibraries dossier preserves a dense donor chain: Nikola Pagasis “Valdouinos” (brother of Antonios), Radoslav Sabia (1405), John VII Palaiologos (as despot of Thessalonica), John VIII Palaiologos, and Serbian rulers including Georgios Branković and his son Lazar. Within this restored institutional regime, the monastery is recorded in the Third Typikon of Manuel II (1394) as eighteenth among twenty-five monastic communities, and boundary disputes associated with the foundation of neighboring Dionysiou are said to have been resolved in 1401.

Administrative bilingualism is not a decorative detail; it is evidence of the monastery’s governance structure and the composition of its leading personnel. The monastery is presented as appearing independently from Xeropotamou in a patriarchal document (Patriarch Matthew) dated 1404, with abbatial signatures in Serbian script; later a bilingual seal was used “for many years,” with Greek becoming the sole official language only in 1813.

This bilingual phase directly conditions the archive: the monastery preserves Greek, Serbian, and later Ottoman Turkish documentation, and the surviving manuscript culture was shaped by Slavic copying, donation, and the movement of books between Serbian Athonite nodes (especially Hilandar) and Balkan monastic centers.

5. Mara Branković and the “Gifts of the Magi”: relic-transfer narrative as institutional memory

The monastery’s most famous relic association is the “Gifts of the Magi” (Δώρα των Μάγων). The AboutLibraries dossier places this within the biography of Mara Branković, daughter of the Serbian ruler, wife of Sultan Murad II and stepmother of Mehmed II. After Murad’s death she is said to have returned to her estates and for decades supported favored monasteries (notably Hilandar and Agiou Pavlou), considering herself a ktetor.

In the monastery’s memory, Mara’s attempted visit to Athos to deliver the relics is linked to the Athonite avaton: she is said to have disembarked but to have heard a commanding voice to return, and a chapel remains at the site (“Proskynitari of Mara”). The episode is reported as described in detail by Archimandrite Antoninus Kapustin (1817–1894).

In Russian Athonite devotional literature, Agiou Pavlou is explicitly identified as the monastery where the “Gifts of the Magi” are kept, together with a cluster of revered Marian icons associated with the monastery.

6. Dependencies and monastic spatial ecology

Agiou Pavlou’s institutional footprint extends through dependencies (exartimata). Two sketes are specified as belonging to the monastery: Nea Skiti (Skete of the Presentation/Entrance of the Theotokos) and the Skete of Saint Demetrios (Lakkoskiti). The dossier also connects the monastery with the historic cave of Saint Paul and with the Proskynitari of Mara as a built marker of the relic narrative.

7. The Skevophylakion: three high-value portable objects

The AboutLibraries record is unusually specific in identifying exemplary objects in the monastery’s Skevophylakion (treasury/sacristy). Three pieces are singled out and can be treated as a small canon of “portable masterpieces” associated with Agiou Pavlou:

  • Glass “deltos” with a micrographic Deesis: Christ Pantokrator with the Virgin and John the Forerunner, archangels Michael and Gabriel above, and a surrounding frame with cavities once holding images of apostles; five remain.
  • Diptych with micro-icons: two wooden panels with cavities holding 26 micro-images (Dodekaorton scenes, symbols of the Evangelists, and other holy figures), framed with pearls.
  • Thirteenth-century cross: micro-images painted on membrane placed at the center and terminals; its later metal base carries two lines of Qur’anic sayings in Arabic (not original to the cross).

These three objects are particularly valuable for scholarship because they open multiple research vectors at once: Athonite patronage and acquisition; the micrographic tradition; Venice-linked luxury production (in related scholarship); and the problem of later mounts and recontextualization (the Arabic inscription on the base of the cross).

8. The archive: survival profile, languages, and the history of classification

8.1. Survival and language strata

The dossier provides a precise survival diagnosis. No original foundation-period document survives that directly concerns the monastery. For the period up to the reconstruction of 1383/1384 by Antonios Pagasis and Gerasimos Radonia, only four documents survive, and they are copies. From the late fourteenth century through the following one hundred years, thirty documents survive, mostly originals.

Alongside Greek documents, the archive preserves (as described in the dossier) seventeen Serbian documents from the fifteenth century, plus two further Serbian documents from the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries (one per century). Ottoman Turkish documentation is present from the sixteenth century; for the eighteenth, about fifty documents survive, primarily from the second half of the century.

A key example of “known loss” is the chrysobull of John VIII Palaiologos for the Lemnos metochion (issued 1436), whose content is said to be known through a seventeenth-century copy published in 1893 by Zacharia von Lingenthal. This is a typical Athonite archival phenomenon: the “documentary event” is historically real, but the physical original may be absent or relocated.

For quantitative orientation beyond the monastery’s own archival description, the EKT/Pandektis database on Athonite documents lists a document count for Haghiou Pavlou within its larger corpus.

8.2. The three modern classification phases

The AboutLibraries dossier is unusually rich in the internal history of the archive’s modern organization:

  • Early 19th-century attempt: associated with the major renovation period of Archimandrite Anthimos Komnenos, presented as one of the monastery’s modern ktetors.
  • 1920s classification: in response to land expropriations for refugees, the librarian Vissarion organized a first classification of the modern archive (18th–19th c.). Documents were arranged by metochia and separated into Greek, Romanian, and Slavic, in original or translation.
  • 1950s classification: the librarian Theodosios carried out a major reclassification that became the basis for the present “Byzantine archive,” the second major part after the modern archive.
  • 1980 scientific mission: the dossier attributes a third large classification to the 1980 expedition of the Center for Byzantine Research of the National Hellenic Research Foundation (NHRF).

A separate archival dimension is the Romanian component: the archive incorporated 56 official Vlach documents; the Romanian archive is described as containing 994 documents and having been published in summary form by Florin Marinescu.

For Slavic documents, the dossier identifies a key modern publication vector: Ljubomir Stojanović (1860–1930) published an initial corpus using photographs by the Russian researcher Petr Sevastyanov (1811–1867), who had worked in Athonite libraries. Ottoman materials were classified in the 1980s by Vasilis Dimitriadis into 25 folders organized by metochia.

Finally, the dossier states that in 2017 the archive was renovated together with the Skevophylakion and the Icon Repository (Eikonophylakion).

9. The library: manuscript culture, destruction and dispersion, and present holdings

9.1. The library as a Slavic-Serbian Athonite node

For centuries, the library of Agiou Pavlou (together with Hilandar) is described as one of the most important Serbian and Slavic libraries on Athos. Its manuscript and printed holdings increased gradually until the eighteenth century through donations and copying activities by monks. The “older collection” of manuscripts is linked to the post-1385 restoration: Gerasimos Radonia and Antonios Pagasis are described as donating books and sacred vessels for the “decoration and adornment of the church,” and Antonios is characterized as educated, translating works from Greek into Slavonic, thereby expanding the library.

A decisive scholarly claim preserved in the dossier is attributed to Archimandrite Leonidas Kavelin: he believed the contents of the library increased significantly in the mid-fifteenth century due to the books of the Monastery of Resava, with monks carrying manuscripts to Athos in the context of Ottoman conquest and seeking refuge particularly in Hilandar and Agiou Pavlou.

Another high-value fact concerns seventeenth-century Russian collecting: Arseny Sukhanov, acting on orders associated with the reform context of Patriarch Nikon, collected important liturgical manuscripts on Athos and took many from the library of Agiou Pavlou; the then superior Akakios is described as having been “generously compensated.”

9.2. Nineteenth-century eyewitness description: Robert Curzon (1831)

The dossier quotes (in Greek paraphrase) the travel writer Robert Curzon’s account from 1831: the library housed in a small bright room, books clean and placed on new shelves; he reports only one Greek manuscript (a copy of the Gospels, 12th–13th c.) and approximately 250 Serbian and Bulgarian manuscripts, with three singled out as remarkable: a quarto tetravangelion in majuscule, a folio Gospel with splendid evangelist images and a patriarch portrait with extensive gold, and a folio Gospel in old Bulgarian “filled with miniatures from beginning to end.”

Even allowing for the limitations of a traveler’s impression, Curzon’s testimony is historiographically valuable: it suggests a library that, in that moment, was perceived as predominantly Slavic in manuscript character, with Greek manuscript holdings seen as sparse (a point echoed later by Russian scholarly visitors).

9.3. Russian and Serbian scholarly mediators: Kapustin and Kavelin

The archive dossier identifies Archimandrite Antoninus (Andrei Ivanovich) Kapustin as a pivotal mediator. Visiting the monastery on 25 August 1859, he published a detailed testimony (in a Kyiv Theological Academy periodical) and is presented as the first to inform the broader scholarly community “in detail” about the content of the monastery library; he states he examined, moved, and even arranged all Slavic books, while describing the Greek half as “particularly poor.”

Shortly after, Archimandrite Leonidas Kavelin produced the most complete description of the book collection, first published in Russia in 1875 and then translated into Serbian in 1877. The dossier records his discovery of a catalog of Slavic books compiled by an unnamed “Russian who worked hard,” listing 180 manuscripts and 45 printed items.

9.4. 1902 fire: destruction of the Slavic library and global dispersion

The year 1902 is presented as catastrophic: a large fire destroyed entirely one of the most important Slavic libraries on Athos. The dossier states that today there is no Slavic manuscript in the monastery; surviving manuscripts or fragments once belonging to Agiou Pavlou are dispersed across libraries in Moscow, St Petersburg, London, Paris, Vienna, Berlin, and elsewhere.

This is the central fact for any modern “library inventory” discussion: the monastery’s historic identity as a Slavic-Serbian library node is now materially readable primarily through displaced holdings in external repositories, rather than through an intact in situ Slavic collection.

9.5. Present manuscript and music holdings; selected codices

The dossier provides the present total manuscript count: 494 manuscripts. It also provides two additional diagnostic facts: (1) the music manuscript collection is among the largest on Athos, with 117 manuscripts, and (2) within the Greek manuscript collection, no works of classical authors or late antique secular authors are identified.

Three codices are explicitly singled out:

  • Codex 2 (parchment; 10th–11th c.): surviving portion contains the Acts of the Apostles with marginal commentary.
  • Codex 456 (paper; 304 folios): the only manuscript of the monastery written in Cyrillic; a Gospel book with ornate headings and initials, and three surviving full-page miniatures of the Evangelists Matthew, Mark, and Luke.
  • Codex 146 (1758): musical manuscript containing the Akathist Hymn and a Kratēmatarion, written by Theodosios of Chios, hierodeacon and protopsaltis of Smyrna.

10. Printed books: early Greek editions and the liturgical profile of the collection

The AboutLibraries dossier records a rare and valuable datum: according to Thomas Papadopoulos, the first Greek printed edition identified in the monastery is dated 1488—Manuel Chrysoloras’ grammatical work Ἐρωτήματα. Εἰς πόσα διαιροῦνται τὰ εἴκοσι τέσσαρα γράμματα, ἃ καὶ στοιχεῖα λέγεται, printed in Venice (per Peregrinum Bononiensem).

The next early printed item noted is a Menaion for September (Venice, 1555), printed by Cristoforo Zanetti. The dossier then lists, in a compact chronological series, the late sixteenth-century printed holdings as exclusively liturgical:

  • 1557: Menaion (February)
  • 1558: Services (June), Services (July)
  • 1559: Triodion
  • 1565: Triodion
  • 1588: Gospel
  • 1592: Menaia (June and July)
  • 1595: Menaia (September and December)
  • 1599: Menaion (February) and Gospel

This is not an incidental list: it is an empirical profile. It shows the monastery’s early print culture as overwhelmingly liturgical, rather than humanistic or philosophical, and thus consistent with the dossier’s broader claim that the Greek manuscript collection contains no classical author texts.

For the first half of the seventeenth century the dossier again describes the holdings as almost exclusively liturgical, with a notable exception: a 1639 volume containing Nikephoros Kallistos Xanthopoulos’ Synaxarion, edited by Matthaios Kigalas and printed by Ioannis Ioulianos.

Finally, for the modern library, the dossier states that the printed-book collection includes approximately 20,000 copies, mostly editions after 1900.

11. Icons and relics in modern Russian Athonite devotion: the “Agiou Pavlou cluster”

The AboutLibraries dossier anchors the monastery’s most famous relic narrative (Gifts of the Magi) in the Mara Branković story. Modern Russian-language Athonite devotional sources explicitly associate Agiou Pavlou with:

  • the “Gifts of the Magi” (Даров Волхвов) kept at the monastery
  • a myrrh-streaming icon of the Theotokos (Myrovlytissa / Мировлитисса) attributed to the monastery
  • additional Marian icon-types linked to the monastery (including Kafreptis / Кафрептис and Mesonisiotissa / Месониσιότισσα)

These Russian sources should be used with critical care (devotional genres compress provenance history), but they matter as a record of the monastery’s current pan-Orthodox “relic reputation” and as evidence for how Agiou Pavlou is cognitively mapped by modern pilgrims and religious media.

12. A list of named scholars, catalogers, collectors, and editors connected with Agiou Pavlou

One of the strengths of the AboutLibraries entry is that it does not merely list objects; it identifies the scholarly agents through whom the monastery’s archive and library became visible to modern research. The following names form a minimal “research history index” for Agiou Pavlou:

  • Robert Curzon (travel writer; 1831 library description).
  • Arseny Sukhanov (collector of liturgical manuscripts in the Nikon era; acquisition from the library).
  • Petr Sevastyanov (19th-century Russian researcher; photographs used for publication of Slavic documents).
  • Ljubomir Stojanović (Serbian philologist/politician; published early corpus of Slavic documents).
  • Antoninus Kapustin (1859 visit; first major public scholarly testimony; also tied to the Mara narrative).
  • Leonidas Kavelin (major library description; publications 1875 and Serbian translation 1877).
  • Spyridon Lambros (cataloger of Athonite Greek manuscripts; relevant for Agiou Pavlou holdings).
  • Theodosios (Agiopavlite monk) (librarian; post-1950s organization; author of “O agnoimenós thisavrós”).
  • Vissarion (librarian; 1920s classification of the modern archive).
  • Vasilis Dimitriadis (classified the Ottoman archive in the 1980s).

To these should be added major modern historians and editors cited in the dossier’s bibliography (Kotzageorgis; Chrysochoidis; Marinescu; Subotić; Sindik), and foundational French-language scholarship such as St. Binon’s monograph on the legendary origins and history of Xeropotamou and Saint Paul.

13. Bibliographic nucleus (Greek, French, Russian, Serbian, Romanian)

This is not a full bibliography; it is the working nucleus explicitly surfaced in the AboutLibraries entry and therefore appropriate as a first-draft reference list for this page:

  • Binon, St., Les origines légendaires et l’histoire de Xéropotamou et de Saint-Paul de l’Athos, Louvain 1942.
  • Kapustin, A. (Antoninus), Заметки поклонника Святой Горы, Труды Киевской Духовной Академии 1 (1863), 30–54.
  • Kavelin, L., Славяно-сербские книгохранилища... (1875); Serbian translation (1877).
  • Kotzageorgis, Ph., studies and editions on the Ottoman period and archival epitomes (2002; 2008).
  • Chrysochoidis, K., Ιερά Μονή Αγίου Παύλου. Κατάλογος του αρχείου, Σύμμεικτα 4 (1981), 251–301.
  • Marinescu, Fl., Ρουμανικά έγγραφα του Αγίου Όρους. Αρχείο Ι. Μ. Αγίου Παύλου, Athens 2002.
  • Sindik, D., “Srpske povelje u svetogorskom manastiru Svetog Pavla,” Mešovita građa 6 (1978), 181–205.
  • Subotić, G., “Обнова манастира Светог Павла у XIV веку,” ZRVI 22 (1983), 207–258; and related study on Mesonisiotissa (1987).
  • Țârlescu, Ion Andrei, “Mănăstirea Sfântul Pavel. Date noi,” Studii și cercetări de Istoria Artei 13(57) (2019), 45–62.
Agiou Pavlou Monastery
Average: 5 (5 votes)