translate

Dionysiou monastery

Dionysiou Monastery – The Holy Monastery of Saint Dionysios, Mount Athos

The Holy Monastery of Agios Dionysios (Dionysiou Monastery) (Μονή Διονυσίου) stands on the south-west coast of the Athonite peninsula, between the monasteries of Gregoriou and Agios Pavlos. Built on a steep rock at an altitude of 80 meters above the sea, at the end of the Aeropotamos ravine, it is also called the Holy Forerunner of (New) Petra (Τιμίου Προδρόμου (Νέας) Πέτρας). In older documents, it is referred to as the Monastery of Megalo Komnenos.

According to the Third Standard (Typikon) of Mount Athos (1394), among the then twenty-five monasteries, Dionysiou occupied the nineteenth place. Since 1574, however, it has held the fifth position and is therefore included among the five monasteries entitled to the primacy of the Holy Community every five years.

History

From sources it appears that the monastery has existed since 1366. Its founder is Saint Dionysios from Korisos in Kastoria, initially a monk at the Filotheou Monastery—where his brother Theodosios was abbot—and later an ascetic on the top of Antiathon with a large number of disciples.

Around 1356–1366, Dionysios, with the meager means available to himself and his students, began establishing a monastery by erecting the first buildings on the rock where the current monastery stands. The first construction phase was completed around 1370 and the monastery immediately began to function as a convent.

A catalyst for growth was the financial support of the Emperor of Trebizond, Alexios III Komnenos, mediated by Dionysios’ brother Theodosios Philotheitis, who had become Metropolitan of Trebizond (1368/1369). In September 1374, Alexios issued a chrysobull promising to build the monastery at his own expense. This chrysobull—2 m long and 98 cm wide—is decorated with miniatures of Alexios and his wife Theodora. The emperor signs in cinnabar: “Alexios in Christ God, faithful king and emperor of all the East of Iberia and Peratheia, the Great Komnenos.” It set a one-time return of 100 soms (half immediately, the remaining fifty over three years) and an annual grant of 1,000 comnenats from himself and his successors. Conditions included continuous commemoration of Alexios III and his successors and that the monastery be called “of the Great Komnenos.”

In subsequent years, Dionysios traveled twice more to Trebizond to collect the second chrysobull installment. Around 1377 he returned to find the monastery plundered by pirates and deserted. He regrouped his disciples and resumed rebuilding. In 1387 he went again to Trebizond but fell ill and reposed there in 1390.

In 1389, by seal of the Patriarch of Constantinople, Antonio IV, the monastery became patriarchal with the name “Holy Forerunner,” as it is dedicated to the Nativity of Saint John the Forerunner, and was released from the guardianship of the Protos.

The current form of Dionysiou is mainly due to extensive 16th-century construction. Several rulers of Moldavia and Wallachia financed maintenance and expansion and are counted among its builders. The Metropolitan of Thessaloniki and later Patriarch of Constantinople Nifon II (1486–1488, 1497–1498, 1502) also contributed thanks to his relations with the Danubian rulers. Nifon resigned the patriarchal throne, briefly stayed in Wallachia, then returned to the monastery in 1502; he reposed six years later and was canonized in 1517.

The Voivode of Wallachia Neagos Vasaravas (1512–1521) financed a new aqueduct and a defensive tower on the north side, built on older foundations laid by the first builder around 1364. Due to frequent pirate attacks, a monk constantly kept vigil in this tower to prevent looting.

In October 1535, most of the monastery was destroyed by fire. The Moldavian ruler Petros de la Argeș funded the rebuilding of the entire eastern wing (from the Trapeza and the gate to the wainario/wine cellar). He also erected a new, larger catholicon and commissioned its iconography from the Cretan iconographer Tzortzis. In subsequent years, his daughter Roxandra and her husband Alexandros Lepousneanu built the western six-story wing with sea-facing balconies.

According to Code 627, the Revolution of 1821 led to temporary desolation and the monks’ perilous wandering. With the monastery’s most important relics, the monks first sailed to Poros (settling temporarily at the Monastery of Zoodochos Pigi), then, after the destruction of Psara, to Zakynthos, where they remained four years at the Dionysian metochi of Hagia Sophia. After the arrival of Ioannis Kapodistrias, they spent a year and a half in Skopelos at the metochi of Faneromeni. After nine years, they returned to Dionysiou, where the 14 remaining monks had endured severe hardship.

In more recent years, many benefactors helped complete, expand, and maintain the monastery with donations and labor, including the brothers Lazarus and Boio, Manuel and Thomas, Joachim of Constantinople, Pope Makarios Cretikos, the former Belgrader Jeremiah, Hatzis Angelakis, and others.

Icons

See icons here

The numerous icons of Dionysiou are preserved mainly in the iconophylakion, the katholikon, and the chapels. Most are painted on Athonite chestnut wood by Athonite monks and date from the 14th century onward, with many donations. Notable examples include:

  • The Virgin of Akathistos, made of wax-mastic, a donation of Alexios III Komnenos.
  • Old Prodromos (Παλαιός Πρόδρομος), a dedication of ruler Alexander Lepousneanus for the healing of Constantine’s son.
  • Virgin of Amolyntos, by Emmanuel Skordilis.
  • A two-sided icon with John the Forerunner and Alexios III blessed by Christ on one side; on the other, four Trebizond saints (Eugenios, Candidos, Valerianos, Aquilas).
  • Saint Christopher the dog-headed, and others.

Museum – Sacristy

The most important relics of the monastery are kept in the Vault in special display cases. The sacred vessels owned by the monastery until 1814 are cataloged in the Chronical Code (Dion. 627, ff. 123r–124r).

Library

No early catalogs survive (as for Patmos), but the creation of the Dionysiou Monastery Library likely coincided with the monastery’s 14th-century foundation. The funding of Emperor Alexios III Komnenos of Trebizond would have included liturgical and theological books for monastic use.

The earliest mention (1602) of the library is by the scribe and learned hieromonk Ignatios in the paraphyllum of Code 246, noting that the library was above the apse of the catholicon, near the Chapel of the Archangels, where it remained until 1915. A 1627 summary by priest Alexandros Vassilopoulos lists 27 manuscripts (not indicative of full size). We know a library operated from about 1570 to the end of the 17th century and that many manuscript codices and printed books were acquired in that period.

In 1701 Ioannis Komnenos called it “wealthy” in the first Pilgrimage of Mount Athos. Later visitors mention its manuscripts: Vasily Barsky (1744) notes impressive chrysobulls; English travelers Carlyle and Hunt (1801) and Robert Curzon (1834) also comment on printed books.

In 1841 Falmereyer researched the Trebizond empire in the library, noting its centrality to monastic life. The Frenchman Victor Langlois also mentions manuscripts and archive material in his 1867 Mount Athos edition. Shortly after, I.M. Raptarchis praised the order and diligence in the space and estimated roughly a thousand manuscripts.

In 1903 a catalog was recorded in Codex 854. In 1915, under Abbot Dositheos, the library moved to the tower, where printed books were cased and numbered. The Visitors’ Book (1908–1935) often mentions the library; notable visitors include Louis Petit, Robert Blake, Nikos Veis, Manolis Triantafyllidis, and Franz Dölger.

In the 1960s the library moved to a newer building south of the catholicon, then temporarily to the north wing. In 1995, after study and restoration, it returned to the four-story tower, organized as: 1st floor – newer printed books, filing, office, microfilms; 2nd – handwritten codices; 3rd – archetypes and early prints; 4th – the Monastery Archives. Due to humidity, the material later moved to a renovated ground-floor space on the east side, where it remains today.

Archive

The monastery’s archive has been periodically organized by Dionysian monks. The first systematic effort occurred in 1909–1915 under monk Dometios, who collected, preserved, copied, and classified Byzantine and post-Byzantine documents.

In 1963 a mission from the Byzantine Research Center (Royal Research Foundation) undertook systematic work. During 1963–1965, researchers P. Nikolopoulos and N. Oikonomidis classified and cataloged the archive: Oikonomidis handled 1056–1504, Nikolopoulos the later documents (1512+), producing detailed descriptions and summaries.

The archive includes:

  • Chrysobulls of Byzantine emperors: John VI Kantakouzenos (1347), John V Palaiologos (1366), John VII Palaiologos (1408).
  • Documents of despots: Andronikos Palaiologos (1417, 1418, 1420), Demetrios Palaiologos (1430).
  • Documents of the Emperors of Trebizond: chrysobull of Alexios III (1374), edict of Alexios IV (1416).
  • Patriarchal documents: Antonius IV (1389), Maximus III (1477), Cyril I (1630).
  • Various minutes, assignments, inventories, designations; documents of Metropolitans, the Protos of Athos, Ottoman authorities (in Greek), and other monastic/private deeds (donations, wills, sales, etc.).

Manuscripts – Codices

Dionysiou holds one of Mount Athos’ richest manuscript collections: about 1,080 Greek codices and 6 Slavonic, ranking fifth after Great Lavra, Vatopedi, Iviron, and Agios Panteleimon (Russian).

An initial list was compiled by Spyridon Lambros in 1880; he described 586 codes (Vol. I, 1895, pp. 319–436), though the list is incomplete due to time pressure. Two supplementary catalogs followed: Evlogios Kourilas (1936), who added nos. 587–762 (summary, based on a rough unpublished list), and the Dionysian monk Euthymios (1957), who recorded 42 more and adopted the numbering still used today. Linos Politis and Manousos Manousakas later issued observations, corrections, and additions (1973). The librarian of Chrysostomos prepared a list of remaining codices, edited by George Papazoglou in 1990 (pp. 443–505).

Many manuscripts have been described in specialized works (e.g., Galavaris 1969; Kada 1994, 1996), and several illuminated codices have dedicated monographs. Kadas notes the manuscripts have risen to ~1,100, most cataloged (except those brought from chapels and metochia). He counts 27 scrolls/parchments (10 described by Euthymios); the rest are codices. Materially, 148 + fragments are parchment; the rest are paper (eastern cotton or western).

During the 17th century, Athanasios Rhetor obtained five codices for the French court (now in Paris, labeled Coislinus). In 1654, Arsenius Sukhanov collected ~500 manuscripts/prints from Athonite monasteries for liturgical revision in Russia; from Dionysiou he selected 34 manuscripts (10th–17th c.).

Several manuscripts with miniatures, protograms, titles, jeweled ornaments, and decorated paintings are of exceptional artistic value. In The Treasures of Mount Athos project, 49 illustrated manuscripts of Dionysiou are described (of 58 identified in the 1970s): 17 Tetraevangels, 11 Evangelists, 5 Divine Liturgies, 3 Psalters, 2 with works of John Chrysostom, and 1 with the words of Gregory the Theologian. Many retain original bindings and Byzantine clasps.

A hallmark of the collection is that many codices were written on site by Dionysiou monks, as a scriptorium operated in the 16th–17th centuries under Abbot Theonas. Frequent scribes include Galaktion, Daniel, Dometios, Iakovos, Ignatios, Joasaph, Kyriakos, Nathanael, Kyrillos, Seraphim, Christophoros, and Samuel.

Three palimpsest codices are noted; Lambros records two: Dion. 69 and Dion. 91, with superscripts dated to the 13th century. The first contains an Explanation to the Psalms; the older (11th-century) writing preserves tropes mainly from the Parakletike. In the second, beneath ascetical discourses, the last third contains a 10th-century micro-script ecclesiastical work by an unknown author in Q&A form.

Manuscripts span 12 centuries (7th–20th), with greatest production in the post-Byzantine period. Most preserve theological, ecclesiastical, and liturgical texts, but classical authors are well represented (~4.4%): Homer, Hesiod, Herodotus, Euripides, Plutarch, Lucian. Medieval writers include Gennadios Scholarios, Georgios Amiroutzis, Theodoros Prodromos, Maximos Planoudis, Michael Psellos, etc.

To date, two supplementary catalogs have been published: by Evlogios Kourilas in 1936 in the journal Theology (pp. 114–128), and by the Dionysian monk Euthymios in 1957 in the Yearbook of the Society of Byzantine Studies (pp. 233–271 and 387–389), which was edited and completed by Konstantinos Manafis. In particular, Kourilas describes 176 additional codes compared to Lambros, under nos. 587–762. However, the information he cites is basically summary, without the required autopsy, since, as he states, it is based on the rough, unpublished list of the previous Mark. Euthymius' list is more complete. In addition to the codices mentioned by Kourilas, Euthymius records another 42, adopting the numbering of the codices that is still valid in the library of the monastery. In the meantime, Linos Politis and Manousos Manousakas issued observations, corrections and additions to the published catalogs of manuscripts of Mount Athos (1973), which include the Dionysiou Monastery. Furthermore, the librarian of the Chrysostomos monastery prepared a list of the remaining manuscript codices, edited and published by George Papazoglou in 1990 (pp. 443–505).

Many of the manuscripts have been described in special works, such as e.g. by Galavaris (1969) and Kada (1994, 1996), while some of the illustrated ones were the subject of special monographs or studies (see Bibliography).

Kadas, in the pilgrimage guide of the monastery he published, states that the number of manuscripts has risen to approximately 1,100. Most have already been catalogued, except for those brought to the library from the various chapels and shares of the monastery. In particular, Kadas counts 27 scrolls, parchments and parchments (of which 10 have already been described by Euthymios). The rest of the manuscripts are in the form of the codex. As for their material, 148 together with some fragments are parchment, and all the rest are paperboards, from eastern (cotton) or western paper.

During the 17th century, Athanasios Rhetor, who collected manuscripts from the East for members of the French court, seems to have retrieved five codices from the Dionysios monastery, which have been located in Paris (labeled Coislinus). Also, Arsenius Sukhanov in 1654 collected from almost all the monasteries about 500 manuscripts and printed books which he took to Russia for the revision of the liturgical books. From the Dionysiou Monastery he selected a total of 34 manuscripts dating from the 10th to the 17th century.

Several manuscripts with miniatures, protograms, titles, jewels and decorated paintings are considered to be of exceptional artistic value. In the project The Treasures of Mount Athos, a total of 49 illustrated manuscripts of the monastery are described, out of the 58 identified by the researchers of the project in the 1970s. Among them are 17 Tetraevangeles, 11 Evangelists, 5 Divine Liturgies, 3 Psalters, 2 codices with works by John Chrysostomou, one with the words of Gregory the Theologian. Many codices retain their original bindings and Byzantine stanchions.

A characteristic of the monastery's manuscripts is that a large percentage of them were written on site by its monks, as in the 16th and 17th centuries a library operated there, led by Abbot Theonas. Often, Galaktion, Daniel, Dometius, James, Ignatius, Joasaph, Kyriacus, Nathanael, Cyril, Seraphim, Christopher and Samuel appear as scribes.

It is worth noting the existence of three palimpsest codices, of which Lambros records two, Dion. 69 and Dion. 91, whose superscript is dated to the 13th century.

The first codex contains an Explanation to the Psalms. The oldest writing, from the 11th century, preserves tropes derived mainly from the Parakletic.

In the second palimpsest codex, under the discourses of ascetics and elders lurks during the last third of the manuscript in microscript writing of the 10th century an ecclesiastical work of an unknown author composed in the form of questions and answers.

Regarding the time of writing of the codices of the Monastery of Dionysios, the manuscripts cover a time span of 12 centuries, from the 7th to the 20th century, with the greatest production found in the post-Byzantine period.

Most manuscripts preserve theological, ecclesiastical and liturgical texts. At the same time, of course, there is no lack of codices with ancient and classical authors, with a preference for some. 4.4% of the collection contains the works of the archbishop: Homer, Hesiod, Herodotus, Euripides, Plutarch and Lucian. Also, the writers of the medieval period are not absent, such as Gennadios Scholarios, Georgios Amiroutzis, Theodoros Prodromos, Maximos Planoudis, Michael Psellos etc.

Printed Books

The collection of forms reaches approximately 10,000 volumes. Of these, the collection of archetypes, incunabula, and editions up to 1899 includes ~3,800. The rarity and importance of these publications rank the library among the four most important on Mount Athos. Many books were purchased, but most came from the libraries of learned monks who bequeathed them, as well as other ecclesiastical figures and lay donors connected to the monastery.

According to Gabriel Dionysiatis (1886–1983), the library includes 6 incunabula, 200 16th-century editions, 300 17th-century editions, and 1,250 editions from 1700–1850 (numbers revised by newer counts).

Today the library has 9 titles from the 15th century, 194 from the 16th, 78 from the 17th, and 484 from the 18th—a total of 765 titles.

Incunabula include:

  1. Lascarios, Grammar of Byzantium, Aldus, Venice 1494–1495.
  2. Theodore’s Grammatical Introduction (four parts), Aldus, Venice 1495.
  3. Aristotelous Organon, Aldus, Venice 1495.
  4. Demosthenes, Logoi 62; Livaniou Sophistos’ hypothesis, Aldus, Venice 1496 (two copies).
  5. Treasury of the Horn of Amaltheia and Garden of Adonis, Aldus, Venice 1496.
  6. Aristophanes, Komidiai Ennea, Aldus, Venice 1498 (two copies).
  7. Suida Dictionary, ed. Dimitrios Chalkokondilis, Bissoli, Milan 1499.

The 16th-century treasures include the only Athonite copy of the editio princeps of Theocritus’ Idylls (Rome, 1516), edited by Zacharias Kalliergis, and a unique 1567 Pentecostarion printed in Venice by Christopher Zanetto (Zanetti).

Among 18th-century editions, the rarest is the Selection of the Psalter of Neophytos Kausokalyvites, the only book printed on Mount Athos, at the Great Lavra printing house of Duke Sotiris of Thassos, in 1759. Editions by the monk Nicodemus the Hagiorite are richly represented, with multiple copies of the first edition of the Philokalia (1782).

The Vault preserves a Gospel (1550) printed by Robert Estienne (Robertus Stephanus) in Paris—an excellent example of typographic art with original miniatures of Christ, the Evangelists, and the Apostle Peter, specially painted for the Dionysiou copy.

Beyond theological works, the library includes titles by Evgenios Voulgaris, Nikiforos Theotokis, Meletios of Athens, Charles Rollin, Grigorios Fatzeas, Panagiotakis Kodrikas, Voulgaris’ translation of Voltaire (1768), and Adamantios Korais’ translation of Beccaria, On Crimes and Punishments (Paris, 1802).

The Library (Scriptorium & Copyists)

Several monks copied codices over the centuries: Dositheos copied Code 440 in 1438; another Dositheos (active c. 1540) copied at least five codices (130, 148, 386, 486, 454).

An organized scriptorium functioned from the last third of the 16th century until the second half of the 17th. About two hundred codices come from this workshop. A leading role was played by Theonas (monk, later abbot, 1590–1600), alongside Daniel (1585ff.), Ignatios (1602–1629), Joasaph (d. 1633–1665), and Galaktion (1627–1666).

Linos Politis (1958, 1977) was the first to analyze the script of the Dionysiou Monastery.

Source: About Libraries Greece – Dionysiou Monastery

Visual and Archival Sources for the Dionysiou Monastery

Because Dionysiou is an active monastery with limited on-site access, most imagery and documentation comes from (1) Greek national aggregators, (2) scholarly manuscript databases, (3) institutional photo repositories, and (4) curated pilgrim guides. Below is a practical guide to what is available online — by language and repository — to help researchers locate photographs, plans, and catalog records.

1. Greek / Athonite / Balkan Repositories

  • Athoniki Psifiaki Kivotos (Mount Athos Digital Ark) – official portal hosting Athonite digital narratives and media; a good first stop for orientation and cross-links to participating monasteries.
    Source: mountathos.org. :contentReference[oaicite:0]{index=0}
  • SearchCulture.gr – National Aggregator (Thematic: Mount Athos) – umbrella entry collecting Athos photographs and documents from multiple Greek institutions.
    Source: searchculture.gr. :contentReference[oaicite:1]{index=1}
  • ELIA / MIET photo records (via SearchCulture) – historical photographs explicitly labeled for Moni Dionysiou, including items “Dionysiou Monastery, Byzantine icon” and “Monastery of St. Dionysios seen from the north-east.”
    Sources: item 1; item 2. :contentReference[oaicite:2]{index=2}
  • Mount-Athos.org (Pilgrim guide) – concise entry with present-day photos and logistical context for the monastery and landing.
    Source: mount-athos.org.

2. Manuscripts & Scholarly Catalogs

  • Pinakes (IRHT/CNRS) – “Monè Dionysiou” holdings – authoritative manuscript notices and bibliography (Cacouros; Cataldi Palau; cross-references to Treasures of Mount Athos).
    Sources: notice 19976; notice 20005. :contentReference[oaicite:4]{index=4}
  • Dumbarton Oaks – MMDB entry (Athos, Dionysiou) – research stub with links out to Lampros and Pinakes; useful for cross-checking codex references.
    Source: doaks.org. :contentReference[oaicite:5]{index=5}
  • “The Treasures of Mount Athos” – classic exhibition catalog with sections on Dionysiou illuminated manuscripts; used widely as a citation baseline.
    Reference anchors: DBBE record citing vol. 1; Brill index excerpt. :contentReference[oaicite:6]{index=6}

3. Image Repositories

  • Wikimedia Commons – Category “Moni Dionysiou (Athos)” – high-quality, free-licensed exterior views suitable for reference and page thumbnails.
    Source: commons (example file: Dionysiou_monastery.jpg). :contentReference[oaicite:7]{index=7}
  • Europeana mirror (via SearchCulture) – aggregated Dionysiou images with standardized metadata and licensing.
    Source: Europeana record. :contentReference[oaicite:8]{index=8}

4. Documents & Acts

  • SearchCulture / Pandektis – diplomatic snippets referencing Dionysiou in disputes and boundary cases (e.g., Monoxylites).
    Source: document record. :contentReference[oaicite:9]{index=9}

5. Curated Pilgrim Guides (contextual images)

  • Athos Guide – Dionysiou – concise description with relics and photo leads; useful for captions and basic orientation.
    Source: athos.guide. :contentReference[oaicite:10]{index=10}

Note on use: verify licensing for each image (Commons/Europeana usually CC or public domain). For scholarly use on athosforum.org, include a brief credit line and link back to the originating archive or catalog record.

Notable Monk of Dionysiou Monastery

Nicodemus the Hagiorite

© Athos Forum – All Rights Reserved.

dionysiou monastery athos
Average: 5 (23 votes)