translate

Saint Panteleimon Monastery (Rossikon) — A Documentary and Bibliographic Profile

1. Identification, rank, and coastal constraints

The Holy Monastery of Saint Panteleimon (Ιερά Μονή Αγίου Παντελεήμονος), widely known by the Athonite sobriquet Rossikon, is one of the twenty ruling monasteries of Mount Athos and holds the nineteenth (19th) place in the hierarchical order. It stands on the middle of the south-western flank of the Athonian peninsula, in an uneven coastal setting only a few meters above sea level.

This shoreline position is not a picturesque accessory; it is an institutional constraint. Coastal exposure, humidity, and the practical demands of landing, storage, and provisioning shape both the built complex and the patterns of archival survival. The monastery’s modern architectural mass (successive levels, multi-storey blocks) is inseparable from the nineteenth-century Russian economic phase that produced it, yet the documentary core is older and repeatedly reorganized in response to loss, dispersal, and re-collection.

2. A monastery with three sites: Xylourgos, Thessalonikeus, and Saint Panteleimon

The historical identity of Rossikon is structured by three relocations, each leaving a different documentary signature: (a) the Monastery of the Theotokos “of Xylourgos” (also called “of the Rus” in later tradition), (b) the Monastery “of the Thessalonikeus,” and (c) the present coastal Monastery of Saint Panteleimon.

2.1. The Monastery of Xylourgos

The first nucleus is the Monastery of the Theotokos “of Xylourgos” (Ξυλουργού), identified with the present skete of Bogoroditsa, situated inland and high (the AboutLibraries dossier places it near Pantokrator). Tradition associates its foundation with Saint Vladimir “Equal-to-the-Apostles” (949–1015) shortly after his baptism in 988, but the institutional fact that matters is documentary: the earliest surviving abbatial signature is that of Gerasimos, who signed the Athonite charter of 1016, and the monastery is mentioned in documents dated 1030, 1048, and 1070.

A crucial corrective preserved in the AboutLibraries entry is philological and administrative: in the early documentary sequence the monastery is called simply “Xylourgos” in Greek and functions in Greek. It is not titled “of the Russians” in those texts, and there is no explicit statement that Russians lived there up to 1169. The later “Rossikon” identity is therefore not a simple projection backward; it is a historical formation with phases.

In 1143 the First (Πρῶτος) is said to have assigned the monastery to Serbian monks from Raousio (modern Kotor, Montenegro). The hypothesis of an early Russian character is connected to the cataloguing of movable objects and books, some described as being of Russian provenance, but the dossier’s point remains: the administrative language and formal name are Greek at this stage.

2.2. The Monastery of the Thessalonikeus

As the Serbian presence increased, and at the request of the abbot Lavrentios, in 1169 the brotherhood received the Monastery “of the Thessalonikeus,” including cells in Karyes. This second site appears in a Vatopedi document of 998 in which the abbot Leontios “the Thessalonikeus” signs for “Saint Panteleimon,” and in the eleventh century the foundation is styled “Saint Panteleimon of Sphrentzes of the Thessalonians,” implying that Sphrentzes was either founder or a later abbot who left his name as institutional memory.

At the moment of transfer from Xylourgos, the Thessalonikeus monastery is described as ruined though formerly populous and prominent among the non-imperial monasteries. The transfer thus functions as a classic Athonite mechanism: continuity of community is preserved by relocating the institutional core rather than by insisting on a single site. From this point, the dedication to Saint Panteleimon becomes the stable axis around which later “Rossikon” identity can crystallize.

3. From Greek plurality to Slavic and Russian predominance

The dossier describes the community initially as predominantly Greek, while in the fourteenth century the “national character” becomes difficult to define: signatures and public representation alternate between Greek and Slavic. The Serbian political phase (the “Serbokratia,” 1345–1371) brought reinforcement by Serbian monks but did not by itself produce an unambiguous Slavic monopoly.

From the third decade of the fifteenth century, monks from Russia begin to arrive, and after 1497 they become numerically predominant. It is in this phase that the monastery acquires a more distinctly Russian character, which the dossier states it maintained until 1740. This long arc is essential for writing the monastery as an Eastern Orthodox institution with a Slavic axis: the Rossikon identity is historical and institutional, not merely a modern label.

4. Key documentary and political moments (12th–17th centuries)

Several events are singled out in the AboutLibraries narrative because they map how the monastery entered Balkan and Russian networks:

  • 1192/1193: Saint Sava, Archbishop of Serbia, is tonsured a monk here.
  • 1307: Catalan bands burn the monastery (the tower remains intact), yet institutional continuity persists; rebuilding is supported by Andronikos II Palaiologos and Serbian rulers.
  • From 1345: the monastery is placed under the authority of the Serbian king Stefan Dušan; the monks address him as “emperor of Serbs and Greeks.” Dušan visits Athos in 1349 and favors the monastery; in 1366 he appoints as abbot the Serbian learned monk Isaiah.
  • 1363: assignment of the small monastery (monydrion) of Katzaris.
  • 15th century Russian patronage: in 1497 the abbot Paisios travels with three monks to Moscow, meets Grand Duke Ivan III (1440–1505), and receives financial support; in 1509, at the wish of Angelina (widow of “Kralj Stefan,” become a nun), Prince Vasilii Ivanovich (1505–1533) places the monastery under his protection; Tsar Ivan IV supports it and is recorded as presenting it as a potential place of Greek study.
  • Mid-16th century crisis: the monastery experiences severe hardship and periods without monks; in 1582 it closes temporarily, and a subsidy sent in 1584 finds no recipient.
  • 1620: a letter of Patriarch Cyril Loukaris describes extreme debt, pledging of vestments and property, imprisonment, and the collapse of church and walls — a stark reminder that “Rossikon” prestige includes phases of near-collapse.

For Athos Forum purposes, the interpretive point is clear: the monastery is not a static “Russian enclave,” but a ruling Athonite institution whose Slavic axis is periodically intensified by wider Orthodox geopolitics (Serbian power, Muscovite consolidation, and later imperial sponsorship).

5. The 19th-century Russian architectural signature and the fire of 1968

The AboutLibraries entry emphasizes that the monastery’s wealth from the mid-nineteenth century until the First World War—through sponsorships of the Russian government and donations of the faithful—is materially visible in the scale and character of its buildings. The complex rises in successive terraces of multi-storey construction, expressing a Russian preference for the monumental, heavy, and tall; the dossier even notes that the cold, intense colors impart a worldly character. Outside the enclosure stand additional massive buildings of varied function; one houses the guesthouse (archontariki). Until the last fire of 1968 this building contained the famous reception hall of the Tsars, described as a striking specimen of the luxurious aesthetic of imperial Russia.

These architectural observations are not decorative writing: they explain why Rossikon is often perceived (by pilgrims and even scholars) first through the late-imperial Russian layer. The historian’s task is to hold that visible nineteenth-century layer together with the older documentary strata that reach back to 1030.

6. The archive: a modern scientific profile, internal series, and research uses

The monastery’s modern archival identity is unusually well described in the AboutLibraries dossier. The archive is presented as preserving unique evidence of (a) the learned culture of its monks and (b) the synthesis of Greek with Slavic Christian and monastic tradition. The core coverage is especially rich for the last three hundred years, though older documents exist, with the earliest dated 1030.

A printed catalogue of the archive is described as containing 60 sections. The dossier identifies Section 10 as the most important for monastic history, with a very large mass of documents (278 folders). This series is explicitly tied to major research themes: the Greek–Russian disputes of 1874–1875, the controversy of onomatolatria (Imiaslavie / “Name-worship”), and property relations with other monasteries.

The archive’s nineteenth-century internal historiography is anchored by Section 16, containing notes of the 1860s–1870s (published in 1873) by the monastery librarian Azarias; the dossier states bluntly that this printed volume remains almost the only source for studying monastery history for 1030–1814. Two other sections track the monastery’s publishing work over the last 150 years: Section 50 (publishing archive, 1860–1991) and Section 51 (library-related archive documents, 1840–1980).

A further series with exceptional ethnographic value is Section 11: diaries, letters, and notes of Hieromonk Vladimir Kolesnikov (Владимир Колесников) for 1889–1918. The dossier notes that he kept a diary throughout monastic life, leaving 39 notebooks with an almost photographic record of daily life, and that he served for forty years as editor-in-chief of the periodical Душеполезный собеседник (“Soul-profitable Interlocutor”), published by the monastery.

7. Library holdings: modern totals, language strata, and the logic of loss

The most decisive quantitative statement in the AboutLibraries entry comes from the modern scientific re-cataloguing and consolidation of the monastery’s holdings. According to that profile, the monastery now has 2,399 manuscript titles and 42,640 printed-book titles. The printed collection is also described as 88,272 volumes, plus about 40,000 additional copies in the form of brochures related to the Russian pre-revolutionary period.

The modern manuscript catalogue is stratified by language and tradition. The dossier states that the catalogue now contains 1,494 Greek codices, 494 Church Slavonic codices, 366 Russian codices, and 45 codices in other languages. During cataloguing, about 175 Greek codices were added relative to older catalogues, and more than 750 manuscripts previously undescribed were incorporated. At the same time, the work identified 50 already-catalogued codices as missing (20 Greek and 30 Slavonic).

This mixture of expansion and loss is itself an Athonite pattern: catalogs grow not merely because new items appear, but because dispersed items are gathered, described, and re-identified; and catalogues also record the negative space of what has vanished.

8. The modern consolidation project (2007–2009) and the 2015 archival-fund catalogue

In April 2007 the monastery began a systematic consolidation of the entire stock (printed and manuscript) into a single repository and undertook full cataloguing, completed in April 2009. The work is described as a large-scale retrieval and systematization of archival material led by Hieromonk Makarios (Makienko). The dossier explains the practical problem: through past fires and natural disasters, monks saved documents and books by dispersing them throughout the monastery; the thematic order and chronological sequence were completely broken. The material assembled in 2007 was therefore a vast heterogeneous mass of documents.

The conservation measures are given with technical specificity: each book and document was cleaned with modern methods to remove insects and larvae; a dedicated storage space was constructed with modern shelving and document cabinets; stable conditions were established at about 18°C and approximately 55% humidity. In parallel, the material was described, dated, catalogued, and particularly valuable or sensitive manuscripts were digitized, with a database created as the control instrument of the new order.

The dossier reports that this work was completed and accompanied by the publication of a richly illustrated 543-page catalogue of the archival fund: Каталог архивного фонда Русского Свято-Пантелеимонова монастыря на Афоне (2015). This is not a peripheral detail; it is the modern “gateway” by which Rossikon’s archive becomes a research object under contemporary standards.

9. Selected Greek manuscripts explicitly highlighted by the AboutLibraries dossier

Among Greek manuscripts, the AboutLibraries entry highlights four codices as exemplary. For Athos Forum purposes these form a minimal canonical list that signals both textual content and material culture (decoration, script, miniatures) and can be expanded later with shelfmarks and bibliography.

  • Codex 2 (parchment; 11th century): described as one of the most important on Athos; a Byzantine Gospel lectionary adorned with precious stones, containing depictions of the three Synoptic Evangelists (Mark, Matthew, Luke), five scenes from the Dodekaorton cycle, and many scenes from the life of Christ.
  • Codex 6 (parchment; 11th century): preserves sixteen orations of Gregory, accompanied by twenty-nine miniatures related to the text; decorated with headings and initials.
  • Codex 99.2 (052 Gregory–Aland; parchment; 10th century): contains part of the Apocalypse of John with the commentary of Andrew of Caesarea; written in two columns in majuscule script with twenty-seven lines per page.
  • Codex 28 (1093 Gregory–Aland; parchment; 14th century): preserves the four Gospels in minuscule with commentary; written in a single column with twenty-five lines per page.

For the Slavonic segment the dossier notes that it includes manuscripts from Xylourgos and from the old Saint Panteleimon monastery; because of a fire at Xylourgos, the archive and part of the library were destroyed, but 33 manuscripts survived and were integrated into the main ecclesiastical manuscript corpus while retaining their earlier catalogue numbers. Russian manuscripts are described as containing works by monks of the monastery and various Russian authors of the later nineteenth and early twentieth century, mainly theological and historical. The “other languages” segment spans ten European and Eastern languages; the oldest item is said to be an Ethiopian parchment Gospel of the seventh century.

10. Printed books: chronological structure, dedications, and rare sub-collections

The printed-book corpus is described in both quantitative and chronological terms. Besides the headline totals, the dossier notes that the library includes 792 printed books with dedicatory inscriptions from their authors or other famous figures. The printed books “begin from 1492” and are organized into three chronological groups: (a) 1492–1917 (24,679 titles), (b) 1917–1991 (5,945 titles), and (c) 1991 onwards (11,952 titles).

For 1492–1799 the editions are characterized as “rare” and placed in a special section. The dossier specifies 1,200 rare editions, acquired through the systematic efforts of the monastery librarian Matthaios Olshanski. Within the rare-prints section two main sectors are described: (a) ecclesiastical Church Slavonic books (including seven “unique editions”), and (b) incunabula and later editions in Latin, Greek, French, and German.

10.1. Seven “unique editions” in the Church Slavonic rare-prints sector (as listed in the dossier)

  • 1. “Миссал” (400 pages; catalog no. L011379): a “Synopsis” containing services, probably printed at the end of the 15th century in Istria in a Benedictine monastery; described as among the earliest Glagolitic prints in a South Slavic language.
  • 2. “Октоих” (356 pages; catalog no. L038231): Cetinje edition of 1510, produced by the hieromonk Makarios; printed in folio format in the same press context as the “Synopsis,” linked in the dossier to the patronage of Vlad V “the Younger.”
  • 3. “Служебник. Литургиарион” (480 pages; catalog no. L034203): Venice edition of 1519 printed by Božidar Vuković (Podgorica), described as the first Church Slavonic printed in Venice; quarto format, with the monastery’s copy described as defective (388 pages).
  • 4. “Октоих” (448 pages; catalog no. L034803): 1539 edition printed in Pristina by Dmitri (a Serb), folio format; includes a woodcut depicting the katholikon of Gračanica (missing in the monastery’s copy).
  • 5. “Апостол” (536 pages; catalog no. L034429): 1547 edition of Acts printed by Dimitrios Logothetes during the reign in Wallachia of Mircea the Shepherd; quarto format; includes at the beginning a woodcut of the voivode’s coat of arms; the monastery’s copy described as defective (370 pages).
  • 6. “Служебник” (280 pages; catalog no. L034477): 1554 Venice edition printed by Vicenzo Vuković (son of Božidar); described as a reprint of the 1519 “Служебник”; the monastery’s copy described as defective (146 pages).
  • 7. “Триодь Постная” (256 pages; catalog no. L032625): 1561 Venice edition printed by Vicenzo Vuković; thirty lines per page; accompanied by images of saints and symbols of the Evangelists.

The dossier adds that Church Slavonic printing is further represented by numerous Russian editions, and identifies as the oldest among them Theophylact of Bulgaria’s Gospel commentary, printed in Vilna in 1600 (786 pages; catalog no. L028912). For Greek and Latin rarities, the dossier gives concrete examples: Pope Gregory I’s Liber Regulae Pastoralis printed in Venice on 13 December 1492 by the press of Hieronymus de Paganinis (catalog no. L025975), and a Greek edition printed by Aldus Manutius in Venice (March 1499) containing letters of Basil the Great and works of other authors (catalog no. L031501). It also notes that Thomas Papadopoulos reports the first Greek edition he identified at the monastery as dated to 1520 (Gennadios Scholarios, On the Way of Salvation), and it records a Greek Bible edition printed in Florence in 1518.

Finally, the dossier makes an important claim about periodicals: the library is said to hold all ecclesiastical and Christian periodicals of pre-revolutionary Russia, as well as a substantial collection of émigré Russian periodicals published worldwide, sent to the monastery as a perceived obligation by their editors.

11. Named scholars, librarians, mediators, and witnesses

As in the Agiou Pavlou template, a documentary page becomes “scholarly” not only by listing objects but by naming the agents through whom collections entered research visibility. The AboutLibraries dossier for Rossikon is particularly strong in this respect. The following list is a usable first-draft research index for Athos Forum pages and can be expanded with publication details and links:

  • Viktor Grigorovich (1815–1876), Russian philologist; visit in 1844; describes the library then as holding about 60 manuscripts and 500 printed books, with only six Slavonic manuscripts.
  • Porfiry Uspensky (diary note, 23 April 1861, Pascha), whose testimony includes both liturgical ethnography and a claim that valuable relics and more than fifty royal and other letters survived earlier disturbances; he lists several letters of Russian Tsars and of Patriarch Job.
  • Leonidas Kavelin (1822–1891), described as a leading figure behind the publication of monastery documents in the nineteenth century; his role is tied to the emergence of a documentary public for Slavic Athonite monasteries.
  • Spyridon Lambros, who in 1895 recorded 1,027 codices (99 parchment) and thus provides a benchmark in the quantitative growth curve.
  • Gerasimos Smyrnakis (1862–1935), cited in the dossier for remarks on manuscript acquisitions from kellion monks and “profane” monks.
  • Matthaios (monastery librarian / book-guardian), who is credited with major acquisitions bringing the codices to about 1,500 in the early twentieth century; connected with major scholarly correspondents.
  • Gabriel Millet (visit 1894), who sought copies of treatises on painting.
  • Louis Petit, collaborator with Matthaios; correspondence about the edition of catechetical discourses of Symeon the New Theologian; letters cited by the dossier also mention acquisitions and the dependence of an edition on Athonite manuscripts after the Turin library fire.
  • Manouil Gedeon, long correspondence (1884–1909), including publishing projects financed by the monastery and broader ecclesiastical-political concerns.
  • Sidney Loch, Scottish witness during the First World War period; reports seeing Slavonic parchments, older Slavonic liturgical books, and modern theological literature.
  • Matthaios Olshanski, librarian credited with the systematic formation of the 1,200-item rare-prints section.
  • Hieromonk Makarios (Makienko), head of the 2007–2009 consolidation and cataloguing program.
  • Hieromonk Vladimir Kolesnikov (Владимир Колесников), diarist (1889–1918) and long-term editor of Душеполезный собеседник.

12. Bibliographic nucleus (Greek, Russian, French, Serbian)

This is a working nucleus aligned with the AboutLibraries dossier and suitable as the reference spine of an Athos Forum monastery page. It is not exhaustive; it is designed to be expandable while remaining disciplined.

  • Каталог архивного фонда Русского Свято-Пантелеимонова монастыря на Афоне (2015), 543 pages, richly illustrated (archive-fund catalogue produced after the 2007–2009 consolidation).
  • Акты русского на Святом Афоне монастыря Святого Пантелеимона (Kiev, 1873), 86 entries (edition funded by the monastery; tied in the dossier to Azarias’ notes and nineteenth-century publication activity).
  • Kapterev, N., Русская благотворительность монастырям Святой Горы Афонской в XVI, XVII и XVIII столетиях, in Чтения в Императорском обществе истории и древностей Российских при Московском университете, Moscow 1882 (January–April), Part I.
  • Metaxakis, Meletios (Metropolitan of Kition), Το Άγιον Όρος και η ρωσική πολιτική εν Ανατολή, Athens 1913.
  • Nasturel, P., “Scarlat Callimachi et le monastère de Saint-Pantéléimon,” Balcania VIII, Bucharest 1945, pp. 179–186.
  • Archimandrite Augustine (Nikitin), “Русский Афон в записках русских паломников,” Христианское чтение 4, Saint Petersburg 2016, pp. 238–262.
  • For the nineteenth-century quantitative curve and catalog signals: Lambros (codices recorded in 1895), and the dossier’s use of contemporary Greek monastic historiography (as cited in the AboutLibraries entry).

Method note for Athos Forum (canonical stance): Rossikon is treated here as a ruling Athonite monastery of the Eastern Orthodox world whose identity is historically shaped by Slavic and especially Russian networks (with earlier Serbian phases and Greek administrative continuity). The page is designed as a documentary profile: names, dates, internal archival series, quantitative counts, and specific items are foregrounded so that later expansions (icons, reliquary inventory, metochia, and prosopography of abbots and scribes) can be added without breaking structural uniformity across monastery pages.

Agiou Panteleimonos Monastery Mt Athos
Average: 4.9 (105 votes)